In 2012, she founded Givopoly, an online gift delivery marketplace in Ottawa, Canada that provides local customers and organizations with cost-effective, fun Employee Rewards and Recognition products. Susan has previously served on the boards of several organizations, including the CMA of Ontario, Equal Voice, and the Advisory Board for Algonquin College. Today, she is a proud volunteer on the Board of Directors for the Invest Ottawa and Bayview Yards as well as an advisor at AmbiSHEOus.
Susan joins me today to share how she pursued her personal interests while working in an organization, the lessons she learned throughout her childhood about entrepreneurship, and how Numbercrunch and Givopoly initially began. She explains the difference between “growth mode” and “expansion mode” as it relates to building your business and how she finds balances her time, energy and creativity while juggling her career and personal life. She also explains why she believes it's critical for more women to have a seat at the boardroom tables and what we need to do to help women achieve this goal.
“There is absolutely an open mind to getting women on boards. What there isn’t is a nudge.” - Susan Richards
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- How her family and childhood experience encouraged her entrepreneurial spirit.
- The most powerful lessons she has learned about entrepreneurship.
- How she pursued her personal interests while working within an organization.
- The biggest insights and takeaways she has learned while working with startups.
- How Numbercrunch got started and how it has grown to achieve success.
- Lessons she has learned from transitioning from a CFO role to a CEO role.
- How Givopoly started.
- The difference between “growth mode” and “expansion mode.”
- How she balances her time, energy, and creativity while juggling her career and personal life.
- Why she believes it’s critical for women to have a seat on startup boards.
- What she believes businesses and organizations need to get more women on board seats.
Susan Richard’s Top 3 Success Tips for Fierce Feminine Entrepreneurs:
- Have a partner.
- Give a lot of thought to your business model.
- Serve a need - not a want.
Fierce Leadership Quotes:
- “Kill it at the job you’re doing. Make yourself so valuable to that company that they will give you more and more trust. You can be the role you want to be in that organization.” - Susan Richards
- “I came to the realization that if I’m going to do intense professional - I need to do intense personal. It all kind of balances against each other.” - Susan Richards
- “There are great organizations now that are helping to train women and make them aware of large board positions, but in parallel to that, we can just tap each other on the shoulders and get us in the right room and make people aware.” - Susan Richards
Triple Down on Your Personal Brand
Are you ready to grow your business, increase your impact, and build a powerhouse personal brand? Learn how to build a powerhouse personal brand that can help you open new doors of opportunities for your business and career. Grab our free whitepaper: 7 Unconventional Strategies to Build Your Personal Brand. Head over to EleanorBeaton.com/Brand to grab your copy of this powerful whitepaper and begin your journey to impact the world!
Grab Your Ticket to the Power. Presence. Position. 3-Day Workshop!
Are you ready to ramp up your leadership skills, have more confidence in your instincts, cope with criticism and lead with conviction? Are you ready to unleash your inner-CEO and authentically position yourself in a category of ONE? Join me in Toronto, Canada on November 2-4 for the Power. Presence. Position. Workshop - the 3-day workshop designed to help you up-level your power, presence, and position within your business or organization.
Dial Up Your Impact, Influence, and Income in 2018
Are you ready to take your leadership and influence to the next level in 2018? Join the Impact & Influence Leadership Lab for Women with Eleanor Beaton – the world’s premier leadership training and implementation program designed specifically for female leaders! This is a 8-week mentoring program for professional, ambitious women in business who are ready to take their leadership skills to the next level and truly step into their power. Visit the Leadership Lab for Women website to see all of the amazing content, tools, and services you will receive by registering today to claim your seat at the table!
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know!